Wednesday, April 28, 2021

I Ain't The Dog I Used To Be

 I told you a couple of months ago that I was getting old. Well, I'm only eleven, but I'm feeling like sixteen. Those back legs are just not cooperating. I can't seem to get them coordinated and sometimes they are weak. They go out from under me.


And sometimes it is just too hard to stand up straight. My legs bend and get crossed. I stumble. But I just pick myself up and go on. I try to be dignified. 

I'm also having trouble sometimes knowing when I have to poop. I make a good effort to get to the doggie door on time, but there were a few times I didn't make it fast enough. It was embarrassing. 

I don't play ball like I used to either. I used to really like playing ball. And climbing up hills is a challenge. Those back legs don't have the power. It's like my four wheel drive is mostly front wheel drive now.


The problem the vet said is probably neurological. Medicine doesn't really help.

I have gone to the vet and I get chiropractic and did acupuncture once. I think the chiropractic helped. Not so much acupuncture. The vet said I could get an MRI for a thousand and five hundred dollars and then there may not be much else that would help. If they could do surgery it would be two thousand more dollars and I would have to go through recovery. That is IF they could operate, but the she says that is not very likely.  

I will just have to keep on going on my own steam.

We took a trip, but it was difficult getting in and out of the truck and staying in a hotel and going for walks in places where there was no hiking trail.

But I still enjoy my walks with the pack every morning and our Sunday walk at the river. My dads and I also go for rides into the wilderness and I get to look out over the desert and see the views. I still love to eat! And biscuits!

Otherwise there is not much new. I'm just not the dog I used to be.

No comments: