Saturday, January 27, 2018

My Worst Day Ever

A dog's life here in Cochiti Lake is mostly boring.

Well, if not boring, then pretty routine.

We get up, I go out and look over my domain, have breakfast and then lounge for an hour before going for a long walk with my friends, Daisy, Sky, Guinness, and Roy.
Looking Over My Domain
We run all over the place and have a good time sniffing. I usually find a nice mouth-size rock to carry, and well, it's no small mouth or rock.

Then I pretty much lounge until we go to get the mail. That's when we play ball in the town green. (You can see that video in a previous post.)

Sometimes we go shopping or the dog park or to do other things. I usually almost always go with my daddies where ever they go. Only sometimes I have to stay home alone for a little while. Luckily, I have a doggie door, so I can go out when I need to....

But yesterday was terrible. Daddies went to Albeturky for the eye doctor and were gone for four hours. Which is OK. I've been alone guarding the house for longer. When they got home, I was happy. Then daddy Leon had to go to work for an hour on his day off and daddy Frank took me for a walk in the arroyo.

When daddy Leon got back, they said "OK, let's get going."

I was ready. I'm always ready.

But they said, "No, Benni, you've got to stay home."

No way, I was thinking, no way.

Daddy Frank put some food in my bowl, and, before I knew it, they were gone, Again.

Well, they were gone for HOURS. I thought they would never come home. It was dark, except for a light in the living room. They didn't even leave the TV on, like they usually do. So I was bored.

I started snooping around. There was this Christmas bag near the front door. I sniffed. A stuffed toy. A white fluffy dog, like my friend Wilson who lives up the street, but who I haven't seen for a month or more. I think the Christmas bag was for Wilson, but he never took it, so it must be for me.

I sniffed some more. Oh, a box that doesn't smell like anything. Oh, a plastic bag that smells like my favorite crackers. Hmmm.

Well, temptation won out.

When daddies got home after SEVEN hours, boy was I excited to see them. My tail was wagging me and I squealed like a pig.

Then daddies saw the evidence. Christmas bag on the floor, plastic bag torn up. No crackers. Fuzzy dog toy on the floor. Too bad I wasn't more careful and didn't put everything back where it was.

"Benni, what's this?" Daddy Frank asked, as if he didn't know. "Leon, come look what our boy did while we were gone."

"That bag has been sitting there since Christmas and he's never touched it when we've been gone. That's not like him."

"Well, he's not getting any bedtime biscuits tonight."

Daddies were not happy, but they didn't scold me too much. We went to bed. I did not get my bedtime crackers.

In the morning I hopped on daddies' bed and got some lovin' and made sorry face.

I tried to explain. "What if you guys didn't come back for a long time. Or never came back. I was already starving. I had to keep up my strength, you know."

I think they understood. They laughed and scratched under my neck and scruffed my head and ears. That's love.





No comments: